Thursday 19 December 2013

Last Seen Laughing - S/T 7" (Randale Records - 2012)



After talking about Agent Bulldogg, let's go a bit more south, in Denmark to be precise. I must admit it, I don't know much about the danish scene, but my feeling is that it ain't so big (or at least I never hear about any band coming from there). They don't seem to have much, but at least they have Last Seen Laughing, from Aarhus, Jutland. I believe some member of the band were before involved in the bands Hoolies and The Outfit (the only two other danish bands I know). Still, I was nicely surprised when I bought (totally randomly) Last Seen Laughing's first full length (called Where We Belong, which would be in a cold and heavy-drinking country as far as I remember Denmark). So I didn't hesitate much to pick this 7" when I saw it in my local record store. This 7" was supposed to be a taste of their upcoming (and published earlier this year) 12" As True As It Gets, including the song on the A-side ("Critics"), the song on the B-side ("Me & Mine") being exclusively on this single.
So, two songs. it starts with "Critics", which is about people bitching and shit-talking but on the meantime being to afraid to afraid to go out and do something. The second one, "Me & Mine", is about how you feel in your life, how it will turn out to be (eventually not the way you thought it would), but hey, don't complain too much about it, you're still happy. Nice lyrics on that one.
When it comes down to the band's sound, I would qualify it as a more rock'n'rollish version of Evil Conduct (and, me not being a huge fan of Evil Conduct, surely less boring...), lots of singalong going on, angry voice, nice bass,... These guys know how to keep it simple, rough, but still pretty melodic and efficient. That's how Oi! should sound to me, straight in your face but still melodic. Well done !
This 7" is packed in a simple green cover with the band's logo on the front. Lyrics aren't included, unfortunately... Note that a 100 copies come with a green vinyl, the rest is in plain and simple black.
To sum it up a bit, nice single, and that's good to see that there's kind of a living and active seen in Denmark. If you don't know them, check them, they worth it. Dejlige !

No comments:

Post a Comment